Local and family history resources
Please acknowledge Paterson Historical Society if you upload or post these resources online or use them in a publication. Your support is appreciated.
Also worth checking ...
Family history, electoral rolls, directories and leases
- names in our books: combined index/table of contents (12mb, word searchable)
- family history: in our library
- Paterson electoral rolls: 1859-60; 1870-71; 1878-79; 1903; Paterson River 1913 (incl. upper Paterson Valley)
- Local directories: Paterson Valley 1841; Bailliere 1866; Samson 1867-68; Greville 1867; Greville 1872; Greville 1875-77; Landholders 1900; Wise 1909; Sands 1910; Wise 1915; Sands 1920; Wise 1925; Wise 1929; Sands 1931; Wise 1935; Wise 1940; Wise 1945-46. See also the full set of Wise NSW Directories (National Library).
- Crown land sales/leases 1850s to 1870s (incomplete): names index; records (5.5mb)
- Church of England registers of baptisms, marriages and burials for Paterson, Allyn River and Gresford.
School and church histories
- Allynbrook Public School: Centenary Booklet 1969
- Eccleston Public School: Centenary Booklet 1967
- Fisher's Hill Public School: Centenary Booklet 1971
- Gresford Public School: Centenary Booklet 1968
- Hinton Public School: 150 Year Booklet 1999
- Iona Public School: 150 Year Booklet 2000
- Largs Public School: 150 Years of Education at Largs
- Lostock Public School: Centenary Booklet 1978
- Martins Creek Public School: 75 Year Booklet 1967
- Mount Rivers Public School: Centenary Booklet 1975
- Paterson Public School: Centenary Booklet 1978; and History to 1978
- Vacy Public School: Centenary Booklet 1959; and 125 Year Booklet 1984
- Eccleston Congregational Church: History notes
- St Ann's Gresford: Centenary Booklet 1998
- St Columbas Paterson: Centenary Booklet 1984
- St John's Vacy: Centenary Booklet 1987
- St Mary on Allyn: Booklet by Rev MJ Clarke (scan courtesy of Faith Lanson)
- St Paul's, Paterson: 84th anniversary booklet 1929 (3mb); Centenary booklet 1939 (4mb); Gravestones (54mb, word searchable)
Research, manuscripts, notes, free ebooks
- Gresford history: Centenary Booklet 1929; 150 Year Booklet 1979
- A History of Policing at Paterson. Unpublished manuscript, c1980
- History of Paterson Post Office. Unpublished manuscript, by Vann Cremer, Australia Post 1988.
- Commercial Road. Unpublished, undated, anonymous DRAFT research notes held by Paterson Historical Society.
- Paterson Museum News archives: from 1994 to 2011
- History of water quality: The Effects of Releases from Lostock Dam on Salinity in the Lower Paterson River 1980; also Water Quality in the Hunter and Mid Coast Region NSW 1960-1975
- 18-20 Marquis Street, Paterson. Research notes by Brian Walsh.
- Barrington Tops, a Vision Splendid. By Dulcie Hartley, 1993. Out of print, scanned for archival and research purposes.
- "Toil and Trouble from Maitland to Moreton Bay - John Eales' Convicts", by Brian Walsh. Second edition (2020) now available as free ebook.
Church of England registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and confirmation
Note: these are images of the original hand-written registers and are not text-searchable. Use them in conjunction with the free government index.
Marriages: Allyn River, Gresford and Paterson
- Allyn River marriage register 1856-1879
- Allyn River marriage register 1879-1914
- Gresford register of Banns 1935-1951
- Gresford marriage register 1858-1913
- Gresford marriage register 1914-1924
- Gresford marriage register 1924-1936
- Gresford marriage register 1936-1943
- Gresford marriage register 1943-1948
- Gresford marriage register 1949-1955
- Gresford marriage register 1955-1963
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1839-1856
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1854-1856
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1856-1888
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1889-1899
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1899-1910
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1911-1919
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1920-1930
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1931-1942
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1942-1953
- Paterson (Houghton) marriage register 1954-1963
Baptisms: Allyn River, Gresford and Paterson
- Allyn River baptism register 1845-1873
- Gresford (Caergwrle) baptism register 1845-1927
- Gresford baptism register 1870-1928
- Paterson (Houghton) baptism register 1839-1869
- Paterson (Houghton) baptism register 1870-1929
- Paterson baptism register 1905-1929
Burials: Allyn River, Gresford and Paterson
- Allyn River burial register 1854-1867
- Gresford (Caergwrle) burial register 1873-1984
- Gresford burial register 1870-1967
- Paterson (Houghton) burial register 1839-1871
- Paterson (Houghton) burial register 1862-1934
- Paterson burial register 1935-1988
- Paterson confirmation register 1931-1960
- The above registers are part of the collection of baptism, marriage and burial registers from the archives of the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle, digitised and put online by Hunter Living Histories, University of Newcastle, Australia.