Paterson Historical Society aims to promote and preserve the history and heritage of the Paterson district and help people find information about their forebears from the district. Our publications cover many aspects of the district's history.

Acknowledgement of Country

Paterson Historical Society acknowledges the Aboriginal people of the Paterson Valley ... read more.

Museum opening times

Paterson Court House Museum is open from 11.am to 3.00pm on Sundays (closed Sunday 20 December 2020, reopens Sunday 10 January 2021).

Group visits

Groups visits outside outside normal museum opening times are welcome by prior arrangement. Email patersonmuseum@gmail.com for further details.

Special individual visits to Museum

The museum can open outside normal times for individuals or couples by prior arrangement. A fee of $50 applies and is subject to availability of volunteers. Email us at patersonmuseum@gmail.com.

Our bookshop is now online

In our online shop you can purchase our books by mail order and pay securely by credit card.

Go to our online shop

cover of Steam Ships on the Paterson River

"Steam Ships on the Paterson River"

Wayne Patfield's new book "Steamships on the Paterson River 1832-1950" provides details of 116 steam ships that operated on the Paterson River, including the names of builders, owners, operators and agents. It's a definitive reference based on years of painstaking research and a "must read" for anyone wishing to understand the river trade, the people and their vessels. It includes actual photos of many of the vessels, plus index.

Buy in our online shop

Hear Wayne's interview about his book on ABC Radio.


cover of Seven Little Churches

"Seven Little Churches of the Paterson Valley"

The new book "Seven Little Churches of the Paterson Valley" celebrates 175 years since the creation of the Anglican Parish of Gresford Paterson. It was written by David Brouwer and published by Paterson Historical Society at the suggestion of the Parish. The book traces the history and fate of the seven churches in the Parish — St Mary-on-Allyn, St Paul's at Paterson and Eccleston, St Anne's at Gresford, St Johns at Vacy and Lostock, and St James at Martins Creek.

Buy in our online shop


cover of Portraits of Paterson

"Portraits of Paterson"

Alison Pitkin's new book "Portraits of Paterson"focusses on the village of Paterson, its buildings and families. The book features stories recorded over the years about local families, businesses and houses which have been published in the Paterson Psst. They are supplemented by information about many of the older buildings, businesses and families living in Paterson during the 1900s. Extensively illustrated by Val Anderson.

Out of stock, reprint ETA 7-14 December


Our photo collection is online

Our photo collection is now online - view collection.

If you have old photos of Paterson and district that you would like to share with Paterson Historical Society, please contact us. Even photos from the 1950s, 60s and 70s would be most welcome as these are our "gap" years in the collection.

How to join the Society

New members are always welcome. Please join to help us preserve the history and heritage of the district. Download membership form.

Boats at Paterson wharf